This blog header was created by Louise Forsyth using elements from Bushel & a Peck & Whimsical Garden By Kirstin Cronin-Barrow

Followers

Saturday 28 April 2012

A Card For Sophie


I meant to post today's card yesterday but I had a real tough time trying to think of the right sentiment for the front of the card. This card was harder than any male card and probably as tough (if not tougher) as any sympathy card I've had to make. 

Very recently the daughter of one of my best friends was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma and she had her first chemo treatment yesterday...the day after her 18th birthday. Sophie is extremely clever (she is head girl at her school and she was accepted to Oxford for after the summer), kind, caring (for the passed 3/4 years she has helped people with special needs on trips to Lourdes), incredibly funny with a fantastic personality and is a joy to be with. 

I wanted to make Sophie a card that wasn't too soppy or deep but would give her encouragement for the coming months ahead. The card was the easy part but like I said the sentiment was causing the problem. I asked for suggestions from lots of people and Google search and in the end combined a few and this is what I came up with....


I think Magnum and Lily are the perfect choice to encourage Sophie...I can just imagine them telling her to Kick Butt!  I shrunk digi Add-On Magnum and used Lily from the Add-On set. The pp is Bo Bunny Swiss Double Dots Tutu Dot. The hearts are the cut out from my Doo Hickey border die. 


I added Glossy Accents to Magnum's nose and to the hearts before sprinkling Glamour Dust on them.



Sophie has 6 months of grueling treatment ahead of her and it's going to be a tough time for her and her family. Michele planted an idea in my head and I've also seen it done on other blogs... I wondered if any of you would like to make Sophie a card to help lift her spirits while going through her treatment? You don't have to do it straight away as it's a long road ahead but over the days, weeks and months I know she would love and appreciate receiving a card or two. 

If you'd like to send Sophie a card, email me at ladybugcraftsink@aol.com and I'll send you my address to send the card which I'll then pass on. I'll also have a button on the sidebar linking to this post which you can post on your blog to spread the word. Thank you :-D

I'd like to enter Sophie's card in the following Challenges:

Fairy Fun Fridays - Anything With Flowers
Glitter Geeks - Stitches (real or faux)
The Poodles Parlour - Anything Goes
Make It Monday - Anything Goes

Thanks for stopping by today. 

Catch ya later x

25 comments:

Julie said...

Perfect!!!
Love the card idea,will be in touch! X

Pia S said...

What a cute card, with a sweet image and a personalized sentiment,

Shirley-Anne said...

Hello Kerry . Great uplifting yet fun card and I am sure it will be appreciated .
Am sending email .
Your best friend and other members of Sophie's family will be having a tough time too , I'm guessing .
Holding all in my thoughts .

Shirley-Anne said...

PS >>thanks for sharing all this on Make it Monday .
hugs , Shirley-Anne

Lisa Jane said...

Brilliant choice of sentiment in the end .. and i am sure it will definitely mean a lot to Sophie.. will get creating and send a little bit of love Sophies way
Lisa x

Jane said...

Life is ***t sometimes isn't it Kerry. I will certainly love to make Sophie a card and will mail it to you at some time in the coming months. She will need all the encouragement in the world and it's little things like that really help people fight and stay positive. Let's hope she kicks the butt of cancer and the chemo puts it into total remission. Please send my very best wishes to her and her family. Your card really is brilliant and just right...well done you.
Jane x

mixamatoasties said...

Beautiful card and I hope it does inspire Sophie to kick butt! I may have the very card already done. I'll email you.

Susan xx

Paula said...

Fantastic card, i'm sure it will help Sophie and that she'll love it. Thanks for joining us at Glitter Geeks this week, Paula :))

Jen Nelson said...

gorgeous card kerry... i'll be sending a card soon xxxx

Mary J said...

She will love it, Kerry - it is a gorgeous card and great sentiment.

Thx for linking up to MIM too!

M x

Sue Nicholson said...

Very pretty beautiful card, fab flowers thanks for sharing your work with us at Poodles Parlour Challenge, good luck, cheers Sue N x

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Your lovely card has caught my eye on MIM. The image is cutest ever and I love the flowers! Enjoy the weekend, hugs Asia x

Ps. Please come and join my 2nd Blogaversary candy ;-). Hope to see you there and good luck!

Jacki Daniels said...

well this is such a sweet card love the image and your colouring
Thanks for playing along with us at Poodles
Jacki xx

:: BlueInks :: said...

Adorable card. Your thought and creativity show through.

Best of luck to, Sophie. No one should have to go through all of that.

Thanks, for sharing your card on MIM so I could take a peek.

~ Barb said...

What a lovely card, I especially love all the stitching and the embossing behind your image. I feel for Sophie and her family, what a difficult thing for them to go through. They will surely appreciate your support. Thank-you for sharing at the Poodles Parlour,
{Hugs} Barb, DT

Susan said...

Stunning card Kerry - and what a shame for such a young girl with the world at her feet....I will certainly put my creative juices to work for her.....and add your link to my blog Xx

DesignerDiva said...

the perfect sentiment in the end Kerry and I love the added flowers - fabulous!! I will willingly make a card when I get back!
Hugs Laurie xx

Unknown said...

This card is so awesome. I am sure Sophie will love it very much! You sure care about her a lot! My weekly challenge blog is critters and this would fit come on over.

carol said...

wonderful creation, and the sentiment sounds just perfect!! what a shame some peeps have to go through terrible things when they are so young.. thanks for playing along with our "Anything goes" Challenge this week at CRAFTY CATZ x Carol

Whimsey said...

Absolutely PERFECT; love the sentiment you chose!!! Such a great card; she'll love it!!

Unknown said...

So very glad you came over and entered. This is such a cute card.
With a great meaning.

Thanks for Entering the Challenge
At Tammy's Scrapin Corner.

Good Luck the Winner will be announced on Sunday Evening.

I hope to see you enter next week!!

CraftyNess said...

Such a beautiful card but for such a difficult reason - but I think you have done this very well. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome and that she does kick butt xx - thanks for joining the glitter geeks challange this week x

Turtle In The Sand said...

I saw this on Susan's Blog, Mixamatoasties. I have a perfect card for Sophie. I will email you and post this on my sidebar at turtleinthesand.blogspot.com. Linda

Unknown said...

Hi Kerry, I just saw this on Susan's (Mixamatoasties) blog. The big C touches everyone in some way, doesn't it.

I'd gladly make a card - may not be very soon (got a busy couple weeks coming up) but will make one asap after that.

Will email you.

Sarah

shamraiz said...

A fabulous design Dear and lovely bright colours. Your colouring looks amazing.
hugs
SAM:>)

Membership Cards
Plastic VIP Cards
scratch cards